How the pARTy Works

On a given day an image will be shared, along with the subsequent artwork painted by the pARTy hosts.

Participants are then invited to create art from the referenced image, Anything goes, but the artwork must have been started and finished within a 24 hour period.

In the fairness of allowing all an equal opportunity to participate, artists will have a window of time to complete their pARTy entry, again keeping in mind said entry must have actually been created within a 24 hour window.

NEW: pARTy submissions must be emailed to thevirtualparty77@yahoo.ca by the pARTy deadline so that they can be uploaded to the blog. You may also register for the pARTy forum and post your work there, but when doing so, please register in your own name and send us an email so that we can process your registration - otherwise we will assume it is just spam!

We regret that entries not meeting these requirements cannot be shared on the pARTy blog.

If you are posting pARTy artwork to your own website, please give credit to the individual photographer providing the photo. It would be great if you also mentioned The Virtual pARTy as well. We thank you in advance for this courtesy.

Thanks for joining us! And happy creating - Linda & Kim

Friday, May 1, 2009

Oh, the Pressure!


I'm intentionally posting this before I even look at Kim's start to this project, lest I throw mine in the swamp or something. I laughed when I glanced at the easel first thing this morning, and took a photo, because I think many artists would agree, this is one of the scariest parts of a painting, if not *the* scariest - that blank canvas! In this case it's 16 x 12, and it's been toned with raw sienna. I printed out the reference image last night. I don't always print them this large, but as I'm going to be working a bit bigger than I have been this past month, I figured I could use all the help I can get!

Next I looked at the image on the computer to decide how I was going to place our pretty filly on the canvas. I didn't really want to place her dead centre...so you'll see what I went with. I cropped a bit, not because I'm afraid of painting feet, but because I thought they might be a little confusing. I either had to take them out, or paint them in, not the in-between of the photo! Of course flying snow can be used to great advantage in a painting! We're artists; artistic license is our friend!

Anti-climactic, I know - this probably looks like a whole lot of nothing, but this is the basic "drawing" in burnt umber. I actually like this stage, when it looks all muddy like this. Fun to see how it evolves from here.

Now, I need to get some stalls mucked before I carry on. I know Kim will be done much sooner than I am, so I'm trying to take just the right amount of pressure from that! See you in a bit!

1 comment:

  1. Your start looks good, Linda!!

    I thought briefly about photographing mine mid-process, but got distracted and then forgot completely!! Shame on me.... !!

    Too bad we don't have a second reference for today, and I could do it properly.

    Anyways, my painting is signed, and I'll sit with it for a bit before deciding it's absolutely done.

    ReplyDelete